UNIVERSITY DISTRICT PHOTO ALBUM- Images of our neighborhood from the past 150 years: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Winter 2005- A proud Indianola Alternative student outside her beloved school.

1951 postcard of new Ohio State University Medical Center.

June 15, 2011- 1658 Neil Ave. Upstairs was home to Theora Hix, a medical student murdered by her lover, Dr. Snook, in the notorious 1929 homicide. Demolished in 2019 to make way for new Ohio State Optometry Clinic.

Canned and fresh produce on display at an early 20th Century Ohio State Fair.

Demolition of 1920s City Ice icehouse as part of Grant Park development, April 2011.

Hamilton Hall, 1645 Neil Ave., late 1920s.

1580-88 N. 4th St. An early 20th Century Columbus Rowhouse.

Detroit Publishing Company image of The Oval, looking towards University Hall, c. 1910. Intended for production of postcards.

winter

February 9, 2014- Snowy afternoon scene on N. 4th St. in the very cold and snowy Winter of 2013-14.

April 13, 2013- Suburban-style Wendy's at 2020 N. High. Built 1977. Demolished and replaced with multistory apartments, retail, and a new Wendy's in 2015.

Marzetti's Restaurant 1918

This 1918 ad offers a rare interior view of campus' famed Marzetti Restaurant, opposite 10th Ave on N High St. Opened in 1896 by Joe Marzetti and run throughout most of its history by his widow, teenage immigrant Teresa (née Piacentini), the restaurant quickly grew to be a student favorite.

In its early years, Marzetti's was famed for its pork sandwich. "The name which made the pork sandwich famous." went the ad copy. Marzetti's was also the birthplace of the Johnny Marzetti, a staple of Midwestern potlucks and school lunches to this day. In the 1930s, Marzetti's became known for its coleslaw and salad dressings, developed by Katherine Hill, a 17-year-old African-American dishwasher who retired as the company's senior food technologist. So popular were the salad dressings, they formed the basis of a spin-off business--the T. Marzetti Co.--with almost a half-billion in sales in 2020.

The original Marzetti's lasted until 1942 when a new location opened downtown near Broad and High. The campus location was closed. The downtown Marzetti's became a 4-star, destination dining location and lasted until Teresa Marzetti's death in 1972.

Mt Grant

September 7, 2014- Hollywood-style "Weinland Park" sign placed by local artists on the slope of Mt. Grant, a huge mound of earth that sat for many years east of N. Grant on the former site of Columbus Coated Fabrics and the future site of the Grant Park housing development.

More